Rain and Relay

I’m here not sure physically or even mentally in that sense but I decided to do a post today (Sunday) even though I wasn’t planning on to but I felt it was necessary to give you a play by play of the events of Relay while they’re fresh in my mind. As they always a picture is worth a 1,000 words so I will share them first:






My dad and survivor ♥




The poster @ church with our amount raised. No we didn't make $1,500 there is always next year!





My Relay car ribbon.










Site sweet site!






One of dad's luminarias on the track





Johnny "The Jet" Rodgers Husker football legend our speaker




Again. I was a few feet away from him and got to shake his hand!!







Behold Maurice the monkey. He was one of our site decorations. He survived the storm!



________________________________
Brace yourself for a heavy post!

So yeah it rained. But I will get to that in a moment. The morning started off beautiful. I went to go help set, and unload around 9am. I gave up at 11am because it was too hot, I was hungry (Dr. Pepper was my only breakfast yeah I know), and I was beat (already). I went home relaxed and what not then met dad for lunch then we packed up the rest of the stuff and headed to the field.


Right off the bat things didn't go to swimmingly. Our loaned tent was missing it's poles so that left dad in search of another. $49.00 later we were back in business. I tried to decorate the site the best I could with what I had. Before you knew it was time for us to head to the bleachers for the opening ceremonies.


As a committee member I was to be introduced during the opening. I was given a job of holding balloons to hand out the survivors and easy task- not. Holding balloons through our guest, speaker, being introduced, special wards, etc was no fun. My hand hurt and my elbow locked up so I had to carefully switch hands since I had a death grip on them. I felt like Russell in the movie UP not the old guy I am bit dorkier than him that's for sure. So when it got time for the survivors to say who they were and how many years they were a survivor they a got a rose and a balloon. I did get to give my dad a balloon ♥ and give him a hug. Then I got to give the leftovers to kiddos that were in attendance :)


After that the only word to describe it was CHAOS at its finest. So much to do and little time to do it. I know I ran around trying to make things happen as they should be happening that was a challenge in itself. Needless to say it was a big MESS. I'm surprise Trump himself didn't land the helicopter right smack in the center of the field and fire me. Okay I exaggerate but it's how I felt. The only probably good thing that came out of the evening (before the storm) was the Miss Relay pagent where we raised $1,4000.
I did finally manage to get some walking in, then we had a Mission Momment then were to have a team captains meeting right after. There was lighting in the distance so usually with any outdoor event we are to cancel the event and leave well as we were doing this candle light walk, I felt a drop then another and before you know it was everyone for themsleves.
Chaos yet again. See last year it rained too around the same time (it was 12:30am), I was @ work last year and wasn't due back until 3am Saturday morning. This time I was there to help so I bolted to our site (in my pig slippers) and hurried home in the downpour.
I got sunburned and am sore as heck. But needless to say despite the chaos it was still a good event. Johnny Rodgers was a great speaker, people had awesome sites, and raised money so in the end that's all that matters.
You still with me? I will say this. I don't think I will be on a planning committee next year. It was tons of hardwork but let me tell you it was very stress right and the end to get everything done. I honestly didn't get to enjoy myself as I did in the past and only got a few cell shots most the ones on my camera were from Mary since I had to work. I still want to be a Team Captain but that's it. Maybe once I get a few more years under my belt then try it again.
As always you learn from your mistakes every it's a learning experince. And there is always next year!
Thanks for sticking it out with me :)

Comments

Popular Posts