Interesting things about Nebraska

I lied again. So what else is new? You ask. I promise to post date the duck tape entry for the weekend. But I having been reading Uncle John’s Unsinkable Bathroom Reader that dad let me borrow the past few days. In case you’re wondering the Bathroom Readers Institute has developed a series of books for reading well in the John. It’s loaded full of facts, history, trivia, strange but true (kind of like Ripley’s believe it or not) quotes, and so on.

Dad has 3 of these books and they’re a great reads even if you don’t read them in the John. Anyways I’ve been reading the book and I found out some facts about my own state of Nebraska that I didn’t know of (with one I knew). I’ve lived in this great state for 27 years and there is stuff I had no idea about. Definitely worth traveling to we finally went to Kearney to see the famous archway that is a museum of pioneer history and is the home of the 2nd largest escalator. If anyone has seen about Schmidt with Jack Nicholson here rode that very one.

But here is what the book had about the state of Nebraska

*World Largest time capsule- Seward, Nebraska. It’s a 45-ton vault, buried in 1975. There are more than 5,000 items from the 70’s inside, including a leisure suit, and a Chevy Vega. It’s scheduled to be opened in 2025.

*World Largest ball of stamps- Omaha, Nebraska. Located at Boys Town a 900-acre orphanage. Boys Town has a stamp museum, which visitors can find the ball. It measures only 32” in diameter, but weighs a whopping 600 pounds, and consists of approximately 4.65 million postage stamps. The project started in 1953 by the Boys Town Stamp Collecting club by sticking stamps on a golf ball. 2 years later it reached the current size. You can touch the ball but no adding or removing stamps. No reason why they started the stamp ball in the 1st place.

I’ll tell you why because it’s the world largest and I bet they wanted to break a record, bet it was on their bucket list. I know it’s on mine!

*Runza (ah my weakness besides cupcakes) German and Russian immigrants settled here in the late 1800’s and developed this dish-a stuff bread pocket, filled with minced beef, pork, sauerkraut, and onions = one yummy and addictive food. (This is what I know)

*Beatrice foods (it’s rather long I will summarize)- In 1984 the company had annual sales of $12 billion by purchasing Avis Rent-a-car, Playtex, Airstream, and Samsonite. Beatrice foods were so successful that others wanted a piece of the business. Also in ’84, a private equity firm called Kohlberg Kravis Roberts began taking large chunks of Beatrice stock, so muck that KKR was able to place reps on the Beatrice corporate board, in other words KKR took over. By 1986 KKR owned all of Beatrice and had paid only $8.7 billion for it. The next four years KKR sold off every division product, and brand Beatrice once controlled. The majority went the competition ConAgra Foods. Ouch.

Source: Unlce John's Unsinkable Bathroom Reader

Interesting yeah? Ok maybe not unless you live here. But I may have to come up with another post of stuff I do know about our state soon.

I will have something crafty I promise!!!

Comments

Popular Posts