Maui Christmas

The cold weather tends to get me down I always try to think warm thoughts and what better way to that then with a tropical Christmas? When I worked at OTC their sister company Terry’s Village offered that theme around the holidays even a Christmas palm tree!

My usual theme for my room is a beach/Hawaiian theme and I am glad there stuff out there but most of it is through places like TV or other websites but lucky for me the Garden Ridge in Omaha carried tropical ornaments this year of course when I went there Friday it was picked over (I had seen them prior around the start of October I think) note to self: Get stuff early even you think it’s insane! But at 50% off I was able to get a few goodies. This week I will (ideally since it is the week before Christmas) show you my beach theme decorations. I decided this way it wouldn’t be such heavy posts and that way you’ll want to come back and read my blog *grins*.

I am going to start things off with a beach chair ornament I found first at Garden Ridge. I noticed the off white-ish color and a few ugly brown spots on it (don’t know if that was the intended style but yuck!) the first words right out of my mouth were: “I can paint that!” Then into the cart it went. Here is the before picture of the chair:






Now y’all should know me by now that I’ve mentioned that I am a HUGE Kenny Chesney fan (once or twice) and one of my favorite songs of his is “Old Blue Chair” if you’re a fan like me you know there are 3 veirsons of the song? Yes indeed on “When the sun goes down” album the song is first introduced there is a verse where Kenny sings he passes out one New Year’s Night after too much drinking he says Malibu and Diet on that album then in “Be as you are songs from an old blue chair” he changes it to Cruzan and Diet (because Cruzan Rum was his tour sponsor at the time) on the same CD he has another version of him on the island with him, his guitar and the waves ahhh.

Where was I? Oh yes the chair ornament sorry! Got a little side tracked *grins*. So to honor Mr. Chesney *sigh* I painted the chair ornament blue. First I removed the hook from the top of the ornament, and then I choose Caribbean blue acrylic, I also added a bit of Carolina blue (Go Tar Heels!) in the mix too. Here is the after on my night stand:




As you can see from the picture I have a Kenny Chesney bandanna from the Road and the Radio tour (my first KC concert!!) I decided the chair could hold my cell phone (fits perfectly). Behind the chair if you notice in the corner is my vintage Hawaiian votive lamp it has palm trees cut into the shade so when I turn on my battery operated tea light, palm trees show on the walls (cute!) a Goodwill find long ago. Anyways I dressed it up with a little bit of blue ribbon. Also to the left of my nightstand is my Santa island which I have a better picture of that I will get to later this week for sure.

***************************

The Sunday school Christmas program went well despite the fact that my kiddos were a wee bit on the hyper side of things (have no idea where that extra energy came from!) but they did their lines perfectly! And sat through the whole program (despite complaining and wiggling!)!

Saturday we finally got to look at Christmas lights and we always go up to Rosedale road to see the famous angel but no big angel just a smaller size one. Hmmm. Her lights were a beautiful purple but it just didn’t seem the same with out the big angel I knew something was off because you can see the lights (and the angel) from the highway kind of a disappointment. We also checked out Lake Ventura not very many had lights this year either kind of a let down!

My Christmas spirit has taken a personal vacation along with my mojo. I am hoping some sewing that I have sitting around will bring my mojo back the Christmas spirit I am working on it!

Thanks for stopping and watch for more Maui Christmas!

Comments

Popular Posts