Blog O Ween Day 27

Adventures in Rit Dye 

I have been watching a TON of  "Gothic" homemaking (I shared his account day 1). And I had an urge to change my night stand. I wasn't sure about painting it (yet. Although I might) I decided I wanted to change the lining of the drawers:


At first I was going to swap out material with some gothic style bandannas but they were too big and since I'm not much of a sewer, I thought of dying the material instead. 

First, I had to wash the original lining because it was pretty filthy, plus I have a cat so I hand washed them but that wasn't enough, I ended up throwing them in the washer.

I had heard of Rit Dye for a lot of Influencers on Instagram but never tried it. So I picked up a bottle at Wal-Mart. I thought it was black but it turned out to be Graphite a dark grey (oops this is what I get for buying dye first thing in the morning). 

Here's the before with the temporary bandannas to line them:

 


After reading the instructions, I started dying:



You have to boil the water, add salt, and soap along with the dye. Depending on the material you can let it set for about 30 minutes since the material is linen. 

After you rinse and wash the material you let it dry overnight. Here is the after:



The material shrunk a bit after they dried, and getting the color wrong (I could re dye it black later), but since my bedding is grey and some of my pillows are too so it works. 

Negatives:

*Price I thought the bottle would be around $2 (the smaller one) I ended up paying $4.77 or so. 

*The instructions was so small and hard to read on the bottle that I had to look them up on the website. 

*Too many steps. Unlike Tie Dye, I thought the whole process was a lot to dye something. You had to add soap and salt to the water. Using rubber gloves and tongs too. 

I am not sure I will use Rit again anytime soon. 

Sidebar: Remember the pink coffin that I had made from the beauty room? I also gave it a makeover and using it in my night stand top drawer:



After Halloween, I will be sharing more about my Gothic room makeover!

Stay Spooky!

Miss Mag Nificent 

Comments

Popular Posts