Sunday Thoughts: Miss Viva Las Vegas 2018

My post title is a tad longer: What Fran Robertson winning Miss Viva Las Vegas means to me. But I couldn't squeeze all that in. If you haven't heard the news, Fran Robertson won the title of Miss Viva Las Vegas 21! I was on pins and needles the entire day waiting for the announcement during the pageant let me tell you I was on Instagram and Facebook all day so I would not miss it!


Photo from Fran's Facebook page


I found Fran on Instagram through another Kiwi pinup Mrs. Greatnews. Let me tell you I have a major girl crush on Fran because she just illuminates charisma and is so very colorful. Aside from that, I want to write about why her winning Miss Viva Las Vegas means everything to me.

*She's a curvy gal. Why is this important: I am a curvy gal myself and I've struggled with body image my entire life and I still struggle to this day. When I competed in my first Daisy Jones pageant  a year ago, a curvy gal won the title of Miss Daisy Jones this year which gave me confidence that I belonged on stage and it taught me to appreciate and to honor my curves. Plus this is to inspire other curvy gals out there to be brave and not let the haters get them down.

*She has a disability. Why is this important: I grew up around disabilities in my family so I was taught self acceptance at a very early age. However, nowadays society doesn't seem so accepting of people that are different. She doesn't let her disability slow her down and she can still rock the stage like the best of them! I know she will inspire others to stand tall and proud!

*She's an alternative pinup. Why is this important: Fran has colorful hair, piercings and tattoos. Which a lot of pinup gals do have the same style as well. Some people have negative opinions of gals that are tatted up just like being curvy etc. I think all pinup gals are beautiful tattooed or not but it's nice that us gals that have/love ink get recognized for in big events like pageants. I think in other circles it's frowned upon? I could be wrong however I still think it's awesome that alternatives gals get a chance at the spot light! (Also Diablo Rose who I was also rooting for has pink hair and is tattooed as well!)

*She's unique. Why is this important: Standing out is so important and Fran did so amazingly (that daisy dress though!) her whole persona is colorful she does Beauty School Dropouts, and her own hair pieces! Creatives are amazing creatures!

*She's as real as they come. Why is this important: If you follow Fran on Insta, you know that it's not all glamour. With her disability comes the struggles with it. That makes her real and relatable to so many people. A lot of pinups struggle with anxiety, and other issues but putting on the dresses, doing the hair/makeup, getting on stage helps them overcome so many obstacles.


 Congratulations again to Fran and I am so happy you won the title! I may not ever get a chance to meet you in person unless I go to Viva in the near future or win the lottery to fly out to New Zealand (bucket for both!) but I wanted you to know how much winning Viva this year meant to me.

XO,

Miss Mag Nificent  

Comments

Popular Posts