Sunday Thoughts: How I got into pinup

I have never really told the story of how into pinup. I have given a short version when I have been asked. Honestly I haven't really given it much thought until recently.

In my teens, I was awkward trying to make myself stand out but I was always made fun of for my choices wearing clothes from Goodwill wasn't hip/trendy you were judged by what you wore. I layered tank tops with turtle necks for Pete Sakes! Also I wore my hair half in a pigtail and half down because I thought it was cool. I needed to be smacked.

Then I had to TUCK IN every single shirt into my pants because I was trying to win over the popular boy I had the biggest crush on for a majority of my teens until I started dating at 16. Like I said my fashion sense was questionable I got picked on so much for it. But by the time I was in high school I didn't care. I wore jeans that I decorated with sharpies and let my freak flag fly.

In college (the first time), I just wore whatever because I wasn't really looking to make a ton of friends because artists are loaners (well I was) and I had just broken up with my 2nd ex (2nd time I believe?) I can't remember what I wore my 1st year but my 2nd year I lived in an army jacket that I found thrifting because two other classmates had them and I wanted to be "cool" and my ex's work shirt because again I thought it was cool it was 2003.

After that, I made an honest attempt at style well being girly which was a bit of a foreign concept mainly I dressed up when it was necessary for dates, etc. When I got my current job. I had to wear business causal clothes  which I didn't have many slacks etc now I have too many pairs to name ha. But mainly, I had gained so much weight that I was denial at that time  and I didn't love myself very much either. I was single for a long time, I was living with roommates who didn't respect me and my new hours, just a lot of negativity.

When I moved out on my own, and took notice of myself as a whole then I made changes. I lost weight and felt more like myself then ever before. I started wearing dresses and enjoying it. I wanted to do something that I had never done before and that's a pinup shoot. I googled pinup photography and found Vixen Pinup Photography They helped me believe in myself and that I was beautiful inside and out. Plus I enjoyed the whole process, it made me feel human again.

After my relationship ended, I felt like a lost puppy in a way because I had just turned 31 with no direction in my life. I had my 2nd pinup photo shoot to look forward to that same year. I had also bought my first pinup dress. Pinup felt more like my life than anything else ever did. I started to learn how to do my hair, wore red lipstick and felt more confident than I ever did in a long time and that's saying something! Everything came full circle when I started doing pinup, I've done 2 pageants and made friends with the most awesome community out there! It feels like home. I don't have to worry about my other problems I just put on my dress, petticoat, and go.

The crazy thing is? I used to hate dresses! Like the color pink. I think as we get older we learn to appreciate things we used dislike or hate. Kind of like vegetables I was such a picky eater as kid (as I'm sure everyone was) now I don't mind them as much, and try to eat more of them often. Just like dresses. I lean to more of the pinup styles out there, twirly ones and of course pockets are a plus!!

 I'd like to say I am not your average pinup gal. Because of my job, I wear pajamas during the day, my hair in a clip, I wear my pinup dresses at work sometimes but I keep my hair simple and I don't wear make up since no one sees me at night anyways plus I tend to rub my eyes hence rubbing off my shadow. I do big hair and makeup on Sundays and once in awhile when I go out with the girls. Mostly my dress hang in my closet where I keep my door open to see them. I don't do fake eyelashes or eyeliner, I trade my Converse for heels most days with my dresses. But it's the life I love.

The rest as they say is history. I often wished I discovered pinup earlier like a lot of the young gals I follow but it's amazing to see women all over the world every size, shape and color take on pinup style and make it their own like I have and that there are some many companies out there who support it as well.

My story and lengthy but it's important to who Miss Mag Nificent came to be. I am glad for it.

Happy Sunday!

Miss Mag Nificent



Comments

Popular Posts