35 Lessons at 35

It's my 35 Birthday!

Last year I did 34 lessons at 34 and I wasn't going to for this year, I was trying to come up with something else 35 related but after I watched a You Tube video from Meghan Hughes who did her life lessons at 21 she inspired me and while watching her video, I came up with my list. A few of hers are relatable with mine hence I am mentioning her here.

They are a combination of serious and funny.

35 Lessons at 35

1. Do not depend on a single individual to fulfill you.

This is one of Meghan's but again it's rings true if you read my proposal post  you know that I have decided to chose myself . But honestly you can take care of your needs, on your own without someone to help you. Standing on your own two feet is the best feeling in the world. And I used to rely on my family so much now it's very little it's one of the best things about being an adult.

2. People will get butt hurt- They'll get over it.

I have FOMO (fear of missing out) 95% of the time but I have learned to get over it because it's life.  The same goes for anyone else out there. Someone made a comment on one of my social media accounts about "not being invited" to my outing I did. I got pretty mad that they wrote it and I was going to fire back but that's feeding into it so I took a deep breath and let it go.

3. It's okay to be bitter-Just don't stay there.

I admit I get bitter about certain things and it's okay to be but don't dwell on it forever and ever.

4. Don't vent all your issues on social media

Ah venting. Classic Miss Mag Nificent back in the day. There have been times where I have wanted to vent about issues then I realize it's not worth it so I write it in my journal or talk to a friend. I feel 10 times better afterwards. Less time venting is better.

5. Unplugging is best

I started to "unplug" more (read my thoughts here)  and it has been liberating plus it's good to be present more in the real world. I remembered life before smart phones so I can revert back.

6.  Date yourself

Take yourself out on a date. For reals. Dress yourself up, go somewhere fancy  or you don't have to. Hence my solo trip to KC. Take a book, journal etc. I have started taking myself out instead of begging people to hang out with me. It's a form of self care which is #7.

7. Self care is important.

I LOVE self care. And it can vary from person to person. Yes for me it is a bubble with Epsom salts or a bath bomb, a Face mask, chocolates, sometimes it's a movie, comfy sweats, reading a book, going to bed early, unplugging, going out on your own, etc.

8. Check in with yourself

This is another Meghan Hughes tip. But it goes with #7 too. If you feel off or not yourself ask yourself: "Am I okay?" "What or why am I feeling this way?" "What can I do to fix this?" "Do I need to call or talk to someone?" Then do all the things necessary to take care of you. I can't say this enough you are a priority.

9. Never underestimate the power of dry shampoo.

Enough said. :)

10. Silence is golden

I am a chatterbox if you haven't noticed  but nothing beats the power of silence.

11. People can be a douche canoes but you don't have to be.

Douche Canoe is the term I like to say when people are being well douches. I get irritated when people especially my friends do it because I want to kick them. So I learned (again) not to give into them.

12. It's okay to be selfish

Along the lines of self-care, dating yourself etc. There is nothing wrong being selfish of course don't make it a habit but once in awhile it's okay.

13. Be a gracious loser (or a good sport)

When I starting to compete in pinup pageants I learned this rather quickly. I never was an athlete growing  up, I did learn with about it with other things but once I started to compete, I knew that I would have to become a gracious loser. The pinup community I belong to is so positive you don't want to have sour grapes about certain things like losing.

14. Remember it could worse

Do you often feel when you have all your own "issues" that you can think it can't get any worse? Take comfort in knowing that there might someone else who may have more not as good as you do. Now I am not wishing ill on anyone, etc. But there are others out there with their own struggles, etc.  Makes you count your blessings.

15. Give back

I try to give back charities, church etc a lot more now as an adult, or volunteer.

Examples: I used to be heavily involved with Relay For Life but with school I have taken a break from it. However I do other things I give part of my paycheck to a Nebraska charity of my choice, as part of our annual giving campaign, also I donated money for "purple for patients" which is in May and we wear a purple t-shirt for it, I also donate weekly to my church which I rarely did and I also teach Sunday school.


16. Staring over is okay

Sometimes it's needed don't be afraid to make a fresh start. It doesn't have to be a New Year, month, or week.

17. Bob Burgers is the greatest show ever.

Fight me.

18. Capre That Diem

Life is short. Do what you love. You'll regret it otherwise

19.  Don't say "I'm sorry"

This mainly applies to someone who has lost a loved one. I can scroll through someone's comments and see a bunch of "Sorry for your loss" I started to say "My condolences" instead to me it's more personal and it can make a better impact. I know finding the right words a lot of the times is tough but letting them know you care is all that matters. Sometimes it slips out anyways. Also don't apologize for yourself again, I am a compulsive apologizer so I try to avoid apologize less.

20.Be grateful

This one doesn't need explanation.

21. Say Yes more

Have you seen Yes Man with Jim Carey? Oh I love 90's Jim Carey although this was in 2008 but it's like a version of Liar Liar where Jim Carey's character has to Yes to everything. Now it's not necessary to say yes to everything, I am an introvert/extrovert so I love my home time but I do like to go out once in awhile and I am trying to do more exciting things. It's a lot like #18

22. Target will always be my favorite store ever.

The end.

23. You're entitled to your opinion but not everyone needs to know

Both 23 & 24 are one in the same.  So I will post 24 and then explain both :)

24. It's okay to support causes that others don't believe in

We live in SUCH a political time and especially on Social Media people like to sound off and make their opinions known. Here's the thing: You DON'T have to voice your opinion if you don't want to. They are so many issues out there that people think they have to jump onto their soap boxes and speak their minds about said issues. There can be so much back lash it's unreal.

I am not political by any means so I stay away from it because I don't have the knowledge to defend myself when someone gets makes a comment about something I post they respond to. So I try to avoid it altogether. I have had my feelings hurt when I have voiced my opinion on something political and I learned my lesson. I admire anyone who is passionate about things like that but it's not my cup of tea. I may not agree with you but I am not to unfriend you because of it. We're adults.

This applies to supporting causes.  Again  a lot of people are vocal about certain causes out there and will state they won't support said business or organization, etc because of their views doesn't match with mine. More power to you. But for me if I believe in what said business or organization does then that's is my own business not yours, So I don't broadcast a lot of these places I support. No one needs to know unless I tell them.

25. There are people who get you

And don't let them go.

26. Fictional Boyfriends are the best boyfriends

Plus you can have more than one ;) 

27. Save your pennies/change

I know this sounds crazy but save up your pocket change it may come in handy. I'm using mine for Dita Von Teese coming up :)

28. Never underestimate the power of a good book

True story (no pun intended)

29. Period Panties are dope

Thanks Sara!

30. Know when to walk away

It's hard AF to walk away from certain things, I get that but going back never does any  good. Keep moving forward.

31. Never give up

John Cena's life motto. Life can get pretty hard but you must never give up!

32. It's okay to have an early bedtime

I work overnights so my sleep schedule is really odd at times. But when you are tired go to bed! Even if it's 5:30 in the evening sometimes your body needs to rest! Plus it's the best form of self care out there.

33. Remember the little things

Random things can make me happy so I try to keep track of those moments with my thankful jar. But it can be something so simple to getting an Etsy order, a hand written note or even a "thank you"

34. Adapt to change

I have a shark tattoo on my right shoulder blade it was my first. I chose it because sharks are know to be great adapters to their environment, change happens so often that either you can let it consume you or adapt to it. I know sometimes it can suck, but if you roll with the changes it will make life easier

35. It's still okay to have stuffed animals as an adult

Even though I am 35 I still have stuffed animals around. Some I had since I was young I am a kid at heart and it's nice to have something to hug since cats aren't very hug-gable. I maybe the crazy stuffed animal lady I don't care.

That's all 35! Whew!!  As for my birthday, I am stuck working the weekend but today there is a reception in memory of my sister and her roommate who passed in January. They planting a tree in her memory (finally after 5 years) other than that I think the celebrating will be Sunday.

Here's to another year of being fabulous!

XO,

Miss Mag Nificent







Comments

Popular Posts