U is for undergarments

Check out T's post here

I am going to just dive right into this post......

U is for undergarments.

I am not sure why this post is a tad uncomfortable for me because hello we all wear knickers, etc but for a pinup it's a bit more maintenance as it were. I am still in uncharted territory when it comes to this so bear with me as I try to get through this post! (forgive me it might be a tad long)

Let's start with the basics....

Knickers. Whenever I wear my dresses, I wear the shape wear knickers. I have them only in two colors currently red and white. I should try to get nude and black as well. I got one pair at Kohl's and the other at Wal-Mart.

Shape Wear (additional pieces) I HATE shape wear or Spanx. I used to worry about "looking" fat in whatever special occasion dresses (prom, etc) and sore I would wear the knickers along with the jockey shorts to help smooth away any lumps or bumps. I have tried to wear them with my dresses, but I can across three problems:

1. The shorts were to long to wear with my dresses. Odd problem but that has happened a few times and you could tell I'm sporting some shape wear! It's not the 1990's where something like that was trendy aka bike shorts under dresses. So nope I don't wear it

2. Rolling rolling rolling. I don't know about you but I had those suckers roll down on me like a bugger and I wound up one time just going to the powder room and removing them altogether after that, I swore off them!

3. Too much going on under there: You've got your knickers, your stockings, your petticoat and now you're going to add another layer??? It's like trying to break into Fort Knox when going to the powder room, it's bad enough trying to pee with a petticoat #pinupproblems I don't need anymore layers!

Now I am not discouraging the use of them if that's what you want to wear in your style have at it I am just saying why it dosen't work for me.

Corsets: This an area I am not familiar with. I do have a corset in my closet, but I haven't "seasoned" yet. I am not all about the "pinup hourglass figure" again if you are that's great! Like I've said I am not your average pinup. I prefer comfort over true pinup style any day plus again the layering. Even though it was the style back then it's not for me either.

Bras: Another grayish area for me. I am the gal who has super old bras and has only one strapless bra that works for her huge boobs. I know I should go get re-measured, buy new bras (I'd rather buy dresses), and whatnot, but again I use what works for me. You can get bullet style bras which was all the rage back then as well if you can get them to work for you. Again since I am a larger cup size, those bras don't work for me anyways.

Stockings/Garter Belts: I go with the simple store brand stockings. I have a tendency to rip (#pinupproblems) my stockings more often than not so I haven't invested in nicer vintage-style ones. I need to get better at taking care of them first before I attempt it. I do want to expand my horizons on this one though, because I think it would be fun to try.

I usually stick to nude stockings almost year round, but I throw in black for fall and winter to set the tone, and I also do fishnets on occasion. To be honest I don't think there is no right or wrong with stockings!

Petticoats: See letter P

Still with me?

Sizes: Most local lingerie stores like VS will do measurements for you in store at no cost. I haven't done it in awhile but don't be nervous or embarrassed to do it!

Where to buy:

Most major pinup companies like Pinup Girl Clothing, Lindy Bop,and Unique Vintage do offer undergarments on the their site. Check there first!

I do know this if you're looking for vintage style undergarments/stockings check out What Katie Did. They are a UK company and is pretty amazing if you ask me. My goal for 2018 is to purchase a garter belt and stockings from What Katie Did.

Adore Me: This is another "subscription" company if you chose to do it. I just shop whenever, but they have some nice options for all sizes.

Victoria Secret: This one is a no brainier but if this is semi affordable undergarments out there but also very fun too. Plus they are nice with the measurements!

Fredrick's of Hollywood: I have only bought from them once and I was impressed with their quality and they have been around forever!

Last but not least, you can shop locally at an antique store for undergarments which I have seen a fellow You Tuber has done and worn them (look for letter Y).

I hope that helps! If you have any suggestions let me know! :)

XO,

Miss Mag Nificent

Comments

Popular Posts