Sunday Thoughts: 1 year later

Pictures from the state lakes last summer 


This time last year, I was driving into Omaha to my then job only to not to be able to come home that evening.

Friday morning started out pretty typical. I got up to get ready, taking a bath, etc. There were reports coming in of road closures, people being evacuated, but I still needed to get to work. I had asked on Facebook how the roads were. At the time the main route I had taken (Maple Street) was closed so I opted to take Dodge in. I did have my doubts but I had taken a "sick" day Monday since I wasn't an official employee (I was seasonal) I didn't get my sicks days paid. I took the risk.  By the time I reached Omaha, I had pulled into the parking lot ready to start my day only to find out the levee broke and the entire city of my town Fremont had literally become an island and I was trapped in Omaha.


When I found out I immediately panicked: Where was I going to stay? Who would take care of Stark? What about my family and friends? I had only the clothes on my back. Little money in my bank account. I couldn't focus on work. I needed to figure what the hell I was going to do. I couldn't go home. Probably one of the most scariest thoughts in a person's mind is not being able to go home. Even in the shittest weather I have been always able to come home. I couldn't even think of who I could stay with and immediately thought of one of my pinup friends first (I would stay one night there) and later another mutual friend who husband reached out to have me stay with them. All of these people I have been internally grateful for The other issue was World of Wheels pinup contest was Saturday. Everything was at home and I had nothing.

Dad was able to put money in my account, my best friend had my key and was able to look in on Stark, and I made arrangements to get a new dress, my hair set by another pinup friend, another would my makeup the next day, and one would lend me one of her petticoats too. After work and getting my hair done, I went to get supplies at Walmart for the duration of my stay. I grabbed t-shirts, athletic pants, socks and knickers. Then bought toiletries and a cute bag to put it all in and a pair of shoes to wear to WOW, along with jewelry. As soon as I got to my friend's she bought me supper, I put together my stuff, then I tried to sleep. I definitely can say I have separation anxiety because all I wanted to do was be at home.

It was hard to sit on the sidelines and watch friends have to be evacuated from their homes, more shelters were opening, people who worked in Omaha couldn't or were stuck like me, supplies were getting low, nobody could into make deliveries, restaurants were closing because they had no food the list goes on. Definitely almost apocalyptic. I hated that I was essentially safe but everyone else was suffering or pitching in to tirelessly help others I wanted to help SO bad. Even the hospital were I was working part time I couldn't even pick up hours. I got messages from recordings about transport of staff etc. People were finding ways out of town but it was back ways and not trusted, I would be sent them as much I wanted to get home I was scared to attempt these routes alone and get even more stuck than I already was.

When World of Wheels happened. I just wasn't present even though my pinup sisters tried. My good friend who was supposed to compete with me was stuck in Fremont and I was really sad for her because it was supposed to be her first time competing at WOW. It was also St. Patrick's Day weekend so you can imagine what it was like in downtown Omaha. It was busy AF. I had to park a good couple blocks away but after the contest, I completely forgot where I parked . So walking in downtown Omaha at night, by myself and legit shenanigans happening around me wasn't the smartest thing ever. I had to keep from panicking which was hard. I walked for blocks. Finally I found my car in a parking garage. I cried happy tears.

Driving in Omaha at night is a totally different beast, plus I was exhausted from not sleeping the night before, still not being at home, walking for miles to find my car, and I was having a hard time finding my friend Becki's place. As soon I found her town house I was grateful for her hospitality. A bed, a hot shower, leftover Pizza Hut and she got me a case of Dr. Pepper.

I did get to go to Drastic Plastic final days and check out 5 Below for the first time. Probably the one the highlights of my stay.

As I mentioned there was creative ways of getting home, a lot of back ways, people taking flights, you name it. My thought process was that if I'd leave Omaha then:

*I'd up not being able to work at PF possibly lose my job
*I may have to leave my car unattended (if I flew out)
*Possible damage to my car if I took back ways
*Get stuck somewhere else and be way more lost (I am directionally challenged).
*Possibly told to turn back around

My best friend ended up taking the back ways that Monday it took him a couple of hours. Where he worked at the time, they didn't reopen that exit until JULY. It was pretty unreal.

Finally Tuesday after 5 days I was able to return home to Fremont after work. The water finally went down and the reopened Maple Street. When I drove home, I noticed how eerie everything looked. As if the flooding didn't happen. The roads were bumpy but manageable. I remember pulling into my parking lot to see my dad and hug him was one of the best moments of my life.

Frozen in time My Calendar March 2019 


Coming home to Stark was also the best but I came home to complete a mess. I had left a sink full of dishes (my plan was to do them that weekend), my never worn green dress for St. Patrick's Day still hanging in the bathroom, the milk expired in my fridge, my bed unmade with my towels from my morning bath 5 days ago still sitting there. Last but least my marker board calendar on my fridge with the past week still there. Frozen. Almost like the city of Pompeii but the city of Mag Nificent in all it's glory mess and all. I tried to go back to a normal routine after that it was hard to adjust but I had the help of friends.

Even a whole 365 days later we're still not "back to normal" last month, some place are still struggling , we had threats of flooding again even another evacuation, it was truly scary. We're not out of the woods yet. I often feel nervous about driving out of town even to Omaha for the fear of not being able to go home. I feel like I have a bit PTSD from it I know that's a stretch even though I was displaced and safe it was hard for me as I mentioned above. But I got through it. My family was lucky others not so much. My friend even offered me a place to crash this year if needed.

What a difference a year has made indeed. I am back to my old job, there is no pinup contest for World of Wheels this year, I only go into Omaha when I want to, and I am grateful each day that I have a home, good friends and community that stepped up when help was needed to most.

Always putting the E in Extra,

Miss Mag Nificent


Comments

Popular Posts