What would Andy Warhol do?

If you don't know already that Andy Warhol is one of my hero's in the art world. His break the rules no nonsense style is inspiration for me. 

And to toot my horn here (TOOT TOOT!) I've gotten to see a few of his works.  Some of his early sketches on one of his famous silk screened pieces in Missouri back in the my college days.  My dream of course is to go his home town in PA visit his museum and of course to pay my respects at his grave by putting a can of tomato soup there.

Dreams aside I often wonder if good ol' Andy suffered from artist block like I constantly do.  My creativity is like a faucet it flows, sometimes it drips, and then all together DOESN'T work like being frozen during winter.  I do remember reading in one of his books that he wasn't sure people would like his work.  It was out there at the time I mean no one thought of painting soup cans over, and over or death scenes, or of Marilyn Monroe. Jasper Johns and Pollock were big at that the time too, in fact they didn't like Andy!

I'm pretty sure there were times where Andy had no clue what to do next. I wonder what he did to get the juices flowing? Shoe shopping? (the man loved his shoes) did he stare at a blank canvas? I sometimes ask myself what would Andy do?

I know the old Mojo will come back (it always does like a lost puppy) but I'm impatient. Maybe this weekend I'll have to take a trip to my local scrap booking store to help the inspiration along. 

Here's hoping!

Comments

Popular Posts