Day of the dead part 2

Happy Dia de los Muertos!

Okay I was bit huffy yesterday, but I did NOT want to miss Day of the Dead or Dia de los Muertos (again).  But before I get to that I owe you little history of this pretty cool holiday (besides Halloween). 

It is a 3,000 year old Mexican holiday.  A time of celebration not sadness, usually last 3 days starting on Halloween and lasting until today November 2nd.  Basically celebrating the lives of our loved ones that have passed.  Alters or ofrendas are often created consisting of loved ones objects, photos, religious objects, flowers, and food.  Also they decorate the graves of their loved ones, According to what I've read, these objects and favorite foods of the loved ones are supposed entice their spirits to come visit their families. 

One of my favorites items or pieces of art for Dia de los Muertos are the sugar skulls.  They're candy too. But they're so pretty and colorful not scary at all.  I've created some last year with some patterned paper, which I'm going to do a separate post on because I have few other items that are Day of the Dead related. 

Here are some shots of my ofrenda and a list of whats there:


1.  My urn that holds my cat Ruffles ashes.  I miss her something fierce.

2. To the right of the urn is a small statue with her name on it that came with her urn. 

3. To the left of the urn is a pewter cat hinged box. 

4. In front of her urn is small heart key pet charm

5. Her collar

6. One of her toys a small plush bear. 

7. A battery operated tea light

8. Behind her urn is a slide necklace I made (I'll be sharing that later too) 

9. One of my favorite pictures of her.

10. I really didn't have any religious objects so I used my angel beanie baby bear


1. To the left of my bear is my St. Jude bracelet, I know St. Jude is the saint of lost causes but for me it works.

2. Mustang car emblem that was grandfarthers. He used to find these when walking I own a V8 one as well.

3. It's kind of hard to see but my silver cross necklace

4. My grandma Adams blue owl pin

5. My grandma Bade's diamond heart pin

6. My grandma Bade's stained glass rose keychain (actually both Grandmas had the same one) and attached to it is my little pocket knife that grandpa gave me. 

For being tossed together as it was, I was pleased with the turnout.  I couldn't locate any of my loose flowers for the alter either but I plan on having a better one next year.  Over all it was a busy but fun day :)

I can be an emotional person sometimes and I thought for sure I was going to get all weepy but I didn't.  Epescially with my cat's things because she was my life you know how pets are. 

I will be back to share my skulls and my other projects!

Comments

Popular Posts