Score one for me!

I’ve admitted on here that sewing really isn’t my thing. That I’ve held the longest grudge ever with my sewing machine and yet I still attempt it. My friend Mary got this really cute denim jeans purse from her niece and I really wanted one too being a purse junkie in all.

I decided well how hard could it be to make one? This coming from the person whose sewing projects have piled up worse then any other project ever, anyways I thought it couldn’t be too difficult so I went on-line to find instructions.

The ones I found were rather simple; okay I thought maybe this is doable. Last Friday came and I headed to Goodwill to look for jeans. Well instead I came across a pair of shorts. I began to think since this IS my first attempt at a jeans purse that I should go for simple you know what they say Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS). Plus I really liked the shorts they were cute and let’s face I wouldn’t been able to wear them they were a size 3 I’ll never be that size EVER. Sidebar: The shorts had the original price tag on them along with the Goodwill tag the original price was $17.99 for shorts??


I went to Michaels last Saturday and got some cute patches, ribbon and some buttons. Since it was snowing Saturday evening and there was nothing else better to do I set to work on the purse. I did the fun part first ironing on the patches, etc. Then came the daunting task of sewing. Things were going good until I got to the crotch where things looked well wonky. I had to admit this part in the project got me worried because I knew I had to do some cutting to make it un wonky but my cutting skills aren’t the greatest (I know right?) and too much cutting could ruin my project altogether. I took a deep breath and began to cut, after I sewed what I cut together then continued. It didn’t look half bad just a little pucker but nothing-major relief.



After sewing it came for to figure out a handle. I used the ribbon I got for a belt since a real belt wouldn’t work because of how small the shorts were and plus not many loops. I drove myself bonkers Saturday night trying to figure out what I was going to use for the handles. I knew it was time to put the project away for the night. Sunday afternoon I was driving home from having lunch with my dad and brother, it came to me pop tabs. You’re thinking what pop tabs?

Yes one of my old friends used pop tabs in her purse making projects and one of the purses she made me has a handle made of them. I don’t use the purse she made me anymore and it just sits in my closet so I dug it out and removed from the old purse and put on my new.


You still with me? Okay here is the end result:


My purse in all it's creative glory!



Since the shorts are tie-dyed I kind of went with a hippie style. I used some Go Green/Hippie patches I got at Michaels:





I love this button!





I also got some Grateful Dead bear pins:



Even Hoops and Yoyo got in on the action:



Remember my sneak peek?  That's where you can see the back pockets.


I am super proud how well this purse turned out. If you're not a great sewer like me you can do this project. You could start out even simpler by using an old jeans skirt. This could be the start of something? Maybe.

Comments

Popular Posts