Story Time: How I became a pinup

I didn't think writing this post would be difficult. To be honest, it sort of just fell into place like a missing puzzle piece after years of searching.

Since today is Valentine's Day I thought this would be an appropriate post :)

I had lost 50 pounds in 2012 and one of my goals was to do a photo shoot not just any photo shoot but a pinup photo shoot. I did some research and found Vixen Pin Up. Who are located in KC. I found their Facebook page in the start of 2013, they did a contest called "Be the girl of your dreams" so I entered in hopes of winning. The person who won totally deserved it but the best part all the contestants got a gift certificate towards a session! That set the wheels in motion for me.

I took the plunge, contacted them and set a date for August 2013. I got a rather long email of what I needed to do before my shoot, purchasing a flash drive, eyelashes, etc. (Now they provide the eyelashes and they have a photo locker online). My best friend and I drove the three hours to KC to their studio which at the time was in a house.

After meeting Candy and Nikki we started trying on dresses for my shoot. The 3rd dress I tried on the red and white polka dots sealed my fate. I got the whole pinup style experience. I got victory rolls, red lips, pearl earrings, garter belts, and a high heels. Plus all the fun props involved.

Here's one of my favorites!



Later on, I started to wear dresses from Old Navy and purchased my first petticoat. Later, I found my first pinup dress of the exact same style from my shoot and the rest is history. I soon starting learning more about vintage and pinup style thanks to The Cherry Dollface then I found more Pinup gals online and then I finally did my first pinup pageant last year (I am awaiting to be accepted for my 2nd), I met some real pinups in person they accepted me for who I am and I enjoy getting to hang out with them whenever I can!

Now I have several dresses, petticoats, a massive red collection of red lipstick (and brooches), I am perfecting my hairstyles including victory rolls and wet sets. But I don't wear fake eye lashes or do winged liner (I hate messing with my eyes and when other people do too!).

When I got into pinup, it was right after my relationship ended, for me it was opening a door into a whole new world (cue the Aladdin song) I was being someone I was not. I tried to be a country girl (which there is nothing wrong with being one some of my good friends are county girls) but it wasn't me. I don't hunt (I do fish), go mudding, know how to fix my car (I know the basics) didn't like wearing camo all that much (I like the pink) the blinged jeans or belts, wearing flannel or the cowboy hats. Also I wore a really short jean skirt (never again). I was trying to do all to impress my then boyfriend (also my 2nd ex was from Texas) who was into all that stuff. Of course our relationship ended and I needed to find a way to fill that hole. Pinup became that filler.

I did my 2nd pinup shoot again with Vixen a year later (they came to Omaha). And it lit a fire under me. I felt amazing and I looked amazing too it gave me the push and confidence I needed. I like to say I am modern pinup because I don't wear "pinup" everyday but I mix it in as much as I can, I wear boat neck tops, cardigans, brooches, scarves etc. And I only own 1 flannel shirt now.

Most pinup gals I follow online are in their 20's which I think it's amazing because I was still trying to figure out who I was back then. It took me to my early 30's to figure it out but it's never too late. I always encourage my friend's to not be afraid to take the plunge buy a dress, throw on the red lipstick and do it!! I always feel so happy when I put on a dress and rock my style. Because loving yourself is the most important <3 br="">

Happy Valentine's Day!

Miss Mag Nificent




Comments

Popular Posts