Fashion Friday: How to sell your pretties

Happy Friday!! I swear this summer has by so so fast! I have only been to the beach once so far and I am not ready for cooler temps just yet! Plus it's almost back to school time for most of my friend's kiddos (while I am almost done with my semester) and my Godson is starting Kindergarten!



It's that time again for Daisy Jones Locker Swap and Sell. This is the 3rd one they have done. I attended the one they did in the winter but I didn't have anything to sell. This time I am prepared as you remember I went last year too and found one my unicorns.

My pretties are ready!


There are many different ways to sell your pretties. A few of my Instagram followers do a closet sale on a different account, there are Facebook groups for that purpose or garage sale sites, E Bay and Craigslist as well or some local shops take consignment items and either give your store credit or cash. A few local places in Omaha do just that. My favorite place Scout does along with a few others.

Here are my experiences with selling on Facebook. Result: Fail 

I tried to sell on Facebook personally on my own page. I created an album, photographed my items and priced them all within reason. I had a mix of vintage and non vintage items. The sad part was I only sold one item after having the items on display for a month. Which really bummed me out.

I did not do any garage sale groups or vintage exchange groups. Mainly because of my hectic schedule and I really don't feel comfortable meeting people I don't know (even in public) to sell my items plus I've had experiences where people can be flakes it took me forever to get one lousy $2.00 item! Also shipping to another location depending on where it is can also be costly plus I stink at figuring all that out before hand. Also I don't want to mess with Pay Pal either.

Like I said I've only done the Swap and Sell once I also sold one item there too but it was a great experience. That's why I will do it again because you never you may have something that someone will want plus I have a lot more to sell this time around so I am hoping to do good.

My original plan was to go to one of the local shops in Omaha and see what I could get for my pretties because I wasn't sure when another Swap and Sell was happening but as luck would have it there is one tomorrow so I will try there first before I go another route. Mainly because I want these items to go to a good home and I want to make some money off them because with shops like Goodwill you're not getting anything for it (just a tax write off) and they toss out your stuff too depending on the quality. That's why I love places like Scout because they are all about rescuing those one of a kind pieces from the landfill.

So without further ado here are tips for selling your pretties either online or at a shop:

1. Do your homework. If you're going to sell your items locally to a shop etc find out their buying hours. Scout does buying hours for their shop which is right when they open until they close. Which maybe the same with other shops too. Also check their site to see what they might be taking. Some places maybe sticklers and will only take certain items so find out before hand on their site or give them a jingle.

2. Clean/steam your items. This should be a no brainier but your are reselling items they may have sat in your closet for a while or in a pile somewhere so they need some TLC. I have a cat so I have to make sure my items are cat hair free plus some people smoke and you don't want that smell in your clothes! Plus steaming the items makes them look nice although some shops may do that as well (the steaming that is)

3. Take good quality pictures. If you are going to sell online make sure you take good pictures of your items if you want to sell them. You don't have to go bonkers just make sure the lighting is good, the item is fully visible, and it's not blurry.

4. Give an accurate description of item include measurements, and sizes. I did a fail on one of my items which was a purse I didn't include the measurements. There might be some sort of disagreement on size (I worked years in customer service for a toy company and size WAS always an issue) so try your best to be accurate.

5. Be fair in your prices. When I first priced my stuff at the swap and sell I went really cheap because mainly I wanted to get rid of the items so I thought cheap was the way to go. When I bought my Bernie Dexter Dress it was a tad high but then I remembered their dresses are higher priced and I actually was getting a deal regardless. Just don't expect anyone to pay the full price that you did on your items or you will never sell them it's a lot like a garage sale. When I was selling on Facebook I was a bit high on some of the items only because of they are vintage or vintage reproduction but I didn't go nuts I still made them reasonable.

6. Let people try on your stuff. This is optional in my opinion if you know the person you are selling it to and they want to try stuff on before they buy it let them so there are no problems in the future or they try to return it. That's why with Daisy Jones they are dressing rooms at our disposable so we can make sure we're getting what we want.

7. Negotiate within reason. If you have something that is higher and the buyer offers you a lower price that is still in range of the original price take it. At the end of the day some people will lower their items to sell anyways.

8. All sales are final. Again a no brainier.

9. Make sure to have change for cash if you are selling at sale etc that way it's easier for you and the buyer.

10. Make sure items on hangers! If you are selling at a shop or garage sale. Another no brainier

11. Thank the buyer. Either in person or with a handwritten note. They are buying your pretties which is the reason you're doing this in the first place a simple thank you goes along way and you never know you might get a repeat customer!

12. Set ground rules. If you're doing an online shop like with Facebook or Instagram it is ok to set some rules. One of mine was not to resell my items yourself on your own page/site or taking it to Goodwill right after you bought it for me. I know someone that does this sadly and I was a little hurt by it.  Also to me it's shady. But they can range from anything to first come first serve on items, your guidelines on shipping, etc.

13. Donate to charity. You can still donate to charity if you don't find any buyers etc. I am not discouraging it in fact Daisy Jones donates the stuff leftover from the Swap and Sell to a local charity which is greats so you can do that too.

Last but not least if your town does a swap and sell it's important to have fun! Daisy Jones Lockers does all the bells and whistles for theirs. It makes time go by quickly plus I like going to and looking over all the new pretties! Plus it's a great way to meet new people too!

I'll be recapping next week!

XO,

Mags 



Comments

Popular Posts