Mint tin shadow box


Okay with Halloween closely upon us I decided it’s about time I share something with you that I made a year ago and teach you to make your own! I had gotten a book from the Library book sale called BFF (that’s not the exact title I am going off of memory here) but it’s basically a book of crafts you can do with you BFF. I ♥ this craft book! I have done a few of the crafts in the book. One being this shadow box made from an Altoids tin. The cool part it’s two in one a photo frame and a shadow box! The deep part serves as the shadow box and the lid is for your picture. The pic is a bit blurry sorry I used my camera phone to take it.

Supplies:

Altoids tin (empty of course!)

Some objects for the deep part of the tin in the book it was items that you and BFF had like ticket stubs, friendship bracelet etc. For mine it was small Halloween toys and a few craft items that I had.

Scrap paper and embellishments. I used bottle cap letters to spell out BOO

Glue or double stick tape when I made mine I used a hot glue gun for the toys and etc. Then glue dots for the paper.

Scissors

A photo


1. Rinse out tin if you haven’t already

2. Trace the bottom and the lid of the tin onto your scrap paper cut out. I used the same paper on both sides you can do that or spice it up!

3. Glue paper into both sides of tin.

4. Arrange the items in the deep part of the tin first before gluing them down so you know where you want them and they all fit. Then glue down.

5. Place picture onto lid. Notice I did have a picture on mine yet oops! Guess I’ll be looking for a picture to put in there!

6. Embellish lid (optional)

And ta da! You have a shadow box tin! Now of course you can go the extra mile and decorate the outside of the tin as well and even decorate the edge of the tin with ribbon too. I may just do that to make it “pop”.

Sidebar: Depending how much is in the deep part of the tin you may not be able to close it all the way and in my case because of the ghost ducky mine doesn’t close all the way.

Anyways this makes a great gift with the holidays around the corner! You could make it for your friend or even your other half. Or if you like me and just had the stuff laying around but I will get a picture in there. I have one of my cousin Debi’s boy Mason who is my Sunday school student, I have a picture of him from Halloween last year or I know I got some from the pumpkin patch with him and Morgan too I will have to dig. Also I suppose you can even make a smaller scaled one with the mini Altoids tins that would be a challenge!

I have gotten some Altoids recently (I love them) and I can’t wait to make another shadow box!

Enjoy making this tin as I did!

Comments

Popular Posts