In the Pink!

So I am very excited to be starting a new project! The other night I was drawing in my graph paper book a pink ribbon and coloring it with some pink sharpies that I had then an idea struck me. Which now has become my project the name is still a work in process but my plan is to make pink ribbons out mixed media any size from just about everything you can think from ribbon, to scrap paper, to paint, yes pink duck tape and even lipstick! There is going to be no holding back on this project. I cranked out a couple ribbons that night with materials I had already (I am even think of dissecting my pink flowered lei for this project!) and I am thinking big for size to get all the ribbons on without having to down size any of large ones I’ve used my magnetic pink ribbon as a pattern for the one I made from scrap paper and the one drawn on graph paper too. Surface wise I am thinking of going along the lines of illustration board it might be cheaper and easier to work with then canvas it’s not official choice yet and also I think I will leave the surface white so the ribbons stand out more or if I do paint the surface it might be a very pale pink.

The project is part of a series of pink ribbon pieces that I have been working on off and on for about a year now. I have completed the first was “Shades of Pink” which was a pink ribbon done in block form with several shades of pink paint, I ended up donating that piece to Relay for Life last year to the silent auction. I never found out who purchased it but I hope it brightens their day. The second is “Out of the shards of fear there’s hope” in which I had taken shards from a broken mirror and placed them around a pink ribbon, the piece is dark but the pink ribbon stands out in bright. I have a few other ideas for more projects in the future.

It’s fitting because October is Breast Cancer awareness month and I have become deeply touched by how many I beginning to know are affected by it. My Grandma Bade had breast cancer and survived though I don’t remember too much about because I was so young when she was diagnosed and when you’re a kid you don’t think about scary stuff like cancer. My friends who have family with breast cancer or themselves, and even one of my co-workers and her courageous battle is very moving. Any kind of cancer has touched me since being a daughter of cancer survivor now has really changed my perspective on things.

At work we are asked to give to the United Way’s “Live United Campaign” and I have chosen the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Nebraska as one of my community health charities. I heard on the new Sunday about the Race for the Cure and how much the foundation helps those in need made me realize I chose the right charity. I plan to attend next year’s race!


In other creative news I am working on Day of the dead sugar skulls out of scrap booking paper scarps I plan to put them on craft sticks and making mini masks with them or I may even make a mobile whatever the mood strikes me! I hope to get around to working on my costume idea too sometime I have a general idea and hope it works out! Plus other Halloween crafts and projects to keep me amused.

Oh I got the decorating done for the most part inside for Halloween I held off until the first of this month. I just love my Halloween decorations because they each have a story like Christmas decorations and I love getting new interesting decorations out which I hope to be posting on them on the FB soon so check them out!

Work is going all right all employees have to participate in this “Blitz” training blarg. It’s a once a year thing I guess on-line I’ve copied my materials just need to sit down, do it and get it over with so I’m not SOL at the end of the month when they are tracking me down to make me take it. I had an over due Code on the 1st it’s been awhile went ok as far as codes go. On me doing my job on that end of things.

I will post an update on the pink ribbon project as it develops and other things a goin’ on!

Stay warm too and always Later Days!

Comments

Popular Posts