Sunday Thoughts: The Nutcracker

I think we all had a childhood Christmas movie that stood out for us. Of course there is the A Christmas Story and Home Alone but for me, it has been 1986's Nutcracker.

I was introduced to the Nutcracker like most kids in school thanks to music class and I've seen it live back in Girl Scouts but there's something about this particular nutcracker that has always stayed with me even through my adult years.

I don't exactly remember when I first saw it on TV but I was young enough to love the movie. We recorded it on the VCR I still have the tape (however my VCR isn't up to snuff). But I had to watch it every year. Lucky for me, Amazon Prime does have it available! 

Why I love this Nutcracker:

Mainly how accurate it is the the original story by Tchaikovsky. There are numerous variations of the story the main character Clara is often referred to as Marie, the nutcracker was gift from God Father Drosselmeier (when actually in the 1986 movie and the book it's an ornament that Clara finds), the mouse king doesn't have 7 heads (in the movie/story he does), Drosselmeier appearing at the clock on Midnight. But that's how I like the story it make it's unique. Plus I like the creepy factor too ;) 

Although it doesn't have some of characters in the story that I'm sure most are familiar with no Mother Ginger with her kids coming out of her skirt, etc. But there's the Russian Dance, Harlequins, a gorgeous peacock, a tiger, snow fairies (similar to the sugar plum fairies) and flowers. Plus Clara and the Prince dance to tell their story of the mouse king. 


I love how Clara grows up into a beautiful woman to find the Nutcracker turned into the Prince (after she defeats the mouse king), and she wears a beautiful tutu (it looks like a powder puff). It's just stunning. 

The whole story is a dream that Clara has after the party on Christmas Eve. The end of the movie shows her waking up. 

I've spent years looking for a nutcracker collectible similar to Clara's and I found this one at my local grocery store:

Most Nutcrackers I come across have the white hair/beard however it's about the right size! The Nutcracker still is a timeless Christmas movie/play to this day.

What's your favorite holiday movie?

Miss Mag Nificent 




Comments

Popular Posts