Christmas wish come true 32 years later.

Have you ever wanted a Christmas present but you never got it? This is my story.


I'm sure most moms are familiar with American Girl. But did you know it's been around since about 1988? Back when I was growing up it was known as the Pleasant Company. At that time there was only three decade dolls. Molly, Samantha, and Kirsten. Then Bitty Babies.

Now there are more decade dolls (known as Be forever), Truly me (which is custom to look like your child), Bitty baby, and Girl of the year. I found about American Girl from a friend who owned several of the dolls and I would play with her dolls whenever I'd come over. I used to get the catalogs. Now they have stores there's one in Kansas City.

During that time, each doll represented a decade (example 1904 which is Samantha's year), she had a back story, then came with a book. She would have several adventures, going to school, a summer story, a Christmas story, a birthday story, and then a "changes" story which shows them growing up.  The dolls had numerous accessories, pets, scenes, and outfits too. They had added more dolls throughout the years and decades. I would check out the books at the library and I had read about all the dolls during their decades at the time.

My favorite was Molly McIntire. She grew up in 1944 during World War II she was around 9-10 years old, her dad was away at war and she was struggling with that and adjusting to different things because of the war. I loved her and could totally relate to her. She had brown braided hair, glasses and the cutest outfits! I owned all her books, paper doll, cook book, and craft book. But I never owned her.

If you're a parent you know how much those dolls are. Well growing up it was an expense my parents couldn't afford. I was always afraid to ask for a lavish gift like Molly. However, I remember growing up we got the BIG JC Penny catalog and for awhile it was a tradition we were allowed to pick one item from the catalog from "Santa" to give us at Christmas. Before American Girl, I would get Barbie stuff one year, it was a rock star Barbie stage with a doll, another year it was her "Golden dream motor home" and another it was her 57 Chevy.

After Barbies though, I would still wished for Molly year after year for Christmas but she never was under my tree or for birthdays.I never was good at saving money either it literally burned a hole in my pocket!

Sadly, some of the dolls started becoming retired. First Samantha (she has been reintroduced since then), Kirsten (she was a pioneer doll), Felicity (she was during the 1700 right before the Civil War), and then Molly a few years ago. I was set on finally getting Molly for Christmas. However I waited too long and she was sold out. I was devastated!! All these years Molly once again slipped from my grasp once again after all these years.

But wait this story has a happy ending!

I still get the catalogs from time to time and there was a couple dolls I liked too Kit (from the Depression 1930's) and Julie (the 1970's) but they introduced this year a new one doll from the 1950's: Maryellen Larkin.  If you remember the 50's is my favorite decade besides the 40's and I fell in love again.  She had the cutest outfits plus a poodle skirt!! She also had a diner scene too! I thought about ordering her myself around tax time or my birthday she was no Molly but I would finally have a long awaited American Girl doll.

I showed dad Maryellen just because he knows my love for that decade too. Then one day he causally asked if I wanted Maryellen for Christmas. Because he knew how important having one of these dolls meant to me. So I didn't hesitate and said yes!

I right away ordered Maryellen on-line during lunch with my dad and brother on my phone. They had a 20% discount at the time (score!) I just ordered her and the little accessories. I figured I could order some of her additional outfits (and maybe the diner scene) later on. Yes I know what you're thinking I know my present but bare with me I'm getting to that! I told dad I would track the package so he would know when she'd arrive. A few Thursday back a long brown box arrived and Maryellen was here!

I asked dad if it was okay to peek at her just to make sure she arrived safely. When I opened the box and removed the red lid of her storage box, I bubbled over with emotion after all these years, I would own my very own American Girl doll. She was just beautiful! I took out her book so I could read up on her story. As it turned out she is very relate able to what I was as a kid (minus the siblings) I won't spoil her story but I loved reading it.

When I opened her Christmas Eve, I got even more emotional. I took her out of the box and gave her a squeeze here we are:



My inner child is happy. If  I could I would like to go back in time and tell that little me not to worry about not getting the doll growing up because I was a pretty wreck-less child (hell I painted one of my Barbie's face blue with a sharpie) and I'm sure Molly would have been mistreated or end up broken. Or her hair would end up a rat's nest! One of my Sunday school kids when she was younger had one.  That as an adult I can appreciate the doll more and I have something to had down to my daughter when she becomes of age.

The moral of the story is: Good things comes to those who wait and of course patience is a virtue. It took 32 years to get the doll but worth the wait!


Comments

Popular Posts