Sunday Thoughts: Social Media Detox



I won't lie my social media detox isn't a FULL detox. I still use Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. But I did disable Facebook. It's been about 2 weeks? Normally, I take a day or 2 off during the week. Never really a full on long term BREAK.

Here's the thing: I had no intentions to delete the app but recent turn of events, I decided to take a longer break. I LOVE social media, but after last year's dumpster fire I took a big long look at things. We hide behind our keyboards and say things I honestly think we don't mean. You're allowed to have an opinion but you're faced with the opinion of everyone else whether you like it or not.  

Before social media, I lead a real private life only close friends really knew what was going on in my life. Now a days, if you share private details of your life and you ask others to respect your privacy or not to give their unsolicited advice you get it anyways. When I opened up about getting rid of Sunni and making that decision on my own, I still got advice about it. As if I couldn't make that decision on my own. I got really frustrated. 

Then after the election...… 

As I mentioned in last Sunday's weekly update I am really disappointed in people. We need to come together but instead we seem further apart. The pandemic has definitely brought out the worst in all of us myself included. It's almost been a year and still nothing is "normal" or will be normal going forward. It's a sad world still. I am ever hopeful that things will eventually get better and we can resume life somewhat as it was 2 years ago (Can you believe it's been 2 years since 2019?). 

What bothers me about this break is that no one has really bothered to check in. Like aren't they concerned? Or are they so consumed with their own lives to notice? I wonder if they will after 3 weeks, maybe a month? My plan is to resume Facebook possibly around March. The thing is pinup season is starting and I have to check in to see what if and when events are happening. 

I may clean up my friend list. I have not really ever done this before (Only once) but how often do I interact with these other pinups I am friends with? They friended me just because I am a pinup it seems to be the only thing I have in common with them but I rarely interact with them or know them. Or the ones that only interact with you when they want to sell something. 

But when push comes to shove, you are the people that are really going to be there? 

The other thing is, you don't have to share everything of your life online. Strange concept isn't it? 

I'll recap at the end of this month of how things went fully. 

Miss Mag Nificent 


Comments

Popular Posts