Sunday Thoughts: My Facebook Detox


If you read my last Sunday thoughts post, you know I have taken a Facebook detox. Actually I titled it my social media detox. But honestly it was just from Facebook. I haven't decided to log back in as of yet. As crazy as it sounds, I've enjoyed my time away.

Here's some of things I have learned/done of my break (I am color coding each list):

*Actually removing/disabling the app: Normally, I will just log off the app for a few days but I decided to disable the app. It was like ripping the bandage off . It takes effort (and Wi-Fi in my case) to re-down load the app without it completely gone out of sight and of mind.

*With drawls were very real: I won't lie I had major withdrawals for quite sometime especially when people would haphazardly tag me in posts not to jump onto the app (or use the internet) to see what they posted. That was the hard part.

*I rediscovered Twitter. Some people say that Twitter is toxic where I disagree (the same with Instagram) I had stopped using Twitter in 2017. Then I scrolled through my feed and my 2016 self sounds like my 2021 self. Just tried of the drama. 

*I've read a lot more. As I mentioned in my last weekly update, that I am on book #7 with it only being the end of February that I am confident that I will reach my goal of 30 books. 

*Not many people noticed: At first I was REALLY bothered by this. I did post about it on Instagram and Twitter (I told a couple of people) but I just stepped away without a big announcement or fanfare. I feel that it's asking for unwanted attention. Although a friend did figure it out and asked. 

I have mentioned a few times how I felt people were being unfair after the current election. It was then I decided to just not deal with it anymore especially with more of the recent events, I just felt it was better to distant myself from the problem.

*My health has improved: It's not 100% but I can take what I can get. 

I am still guilty of being on my phone A LOT I do play a lot of games, etc. Though I have been trying to improve this my phone has programs to aid in this. That is my experiment in the weeks going forward.  

My overall goal going forward:

*Unfriending people that do not benefit me anymore: This is a hard one but I did this on my Twitter when I got back into my account I unfollowed a bunch of accounts and that's my plan when I go back to Facebook. I mentioned it on my last post but I have a ton of "friends" that I haven't met in person and the only thing we have in common is pinup that is it. 

I am not one to unfriend people often. I have once before but it's been a hot minute. I am a people pleaser (it's the Taurus in me) and loyal. But as I've said, it's time to rip the bandage off.

*Limiting my Facebook: I haven't decided on how I want to approach this yet If I want to check in once a week or maybe every other day but limit my time? Set a time/etc. 

*Not posting EVERYTHING: Before I got Facebook, I was so private and I want to go back to that person. I admit I am a bit Tweet happy on Twitter because NOBODY judges me. I am literally
Cartman on the internet bullying episode:


Very few people see what I am posting, etc. And that's so freeing. I believe that's how social media should be. Not everything needs to be out on the Internet. 


I really like being present and in the moment. That has been my plan always but I am guilty of looking at my phone at certain times, etc. As always, I am working on improving this. 


Again, I will check in what I decide to do.

Stay Spooky!

Miss Mag Nificent 

Comments

Popular Posts