No place like home?

Note: I am on vacation this week but I managed to find some time between moving and getting my bench done to do a few posted dated entries for your entertainment it's the least I could do since I've been MIA for a while so enjoy!
**************************

Today is the day, at this very moment I am getting the keys to my 1st apartment.  I will no longer live with two other people, it'll just be me, myself, and I.

I've done a lot of thinking about this whole living on my own (not with my parents) situation for a while. I have lived on my "own" for 4 years now. Before that I lived at home with my parents for 23 years. Out of all 4 years I've lived with my roommates it never felt like "home" to me. Plus a year after I moved out my parents sold the home I did know for 23 years and moved into a new place. So I lost my childhood home, which kind of sucks.  I think it's because of the problems we had with our house didn't help matters. I often joke out all the memories I have of this house are of all the problems.

Currently the problem was over my last week of living there was our fridge went out. I mean we had everything else under the sun happen you know that was given (Murphy was an optimist).  So our fridge was taken out and it's supposed to be replaced.

I know you're supposed to try to look past the bad to find the good in things but sometimes that's a hard thing to do. Yeah there were good times sure it's just that I can't remember them is that terrible?

One of my favorite books is The Sisterhood of the traveling pants this comes from the final summer of the sisterhood and hits the nail on the head when it comes to this:

Ideally, you grew up in a house with a family and then you went to college. You left your home and your family there kind of waiting for you. You left a hole roughly the size and the shape of you. You got to come home and fill it every once in a while.

The important things was that home stayed where it was and you got to move. You could always plot your location in the world by relationship to it. I'm so far from home, you could think when in say China, I'm so close to it you could think, when you turned the last corner and saw it again. Home was a time and no longer a place Carmen (one of the characters) couldn't return to it.

I think it has a lot to do with I lived in a shared space and was limited to what I could have there. Where before I had my own room at my parents and could have it however I want.  Because when you live with other people you they have their own tastes, ideas, opinions, etc so your not as independent.  Plus kind of felt like I lived in dorm too.

If you were to ask me what I am most looking forward to being on my own there are two answers:

1. My own studio.  This is one thing I wanted for a very long time. I had planned of turning my old room into a studio before my parents decided to move but it didn't happen. So I had just an area of my room and I didn't have a desk or anything most projects were done on the floor of our room or at work. Now I will have a place to have everything. 

2. My books. I love to read and I had a bookshelf at my parents but when I moved do to lack of space I wasn't able to have my bookshelf so my books were mostly in boxes. I am excited to be near my books again.

I am really hoping that my new place will feel like home for me. Time will only tell.

Thanks for reading this long and boring post I know it's not my normal anticis but I had to get this off my chest. I promise the other posts will be more fun!

Comments

Popular Posts