Sunday Thoughts: Jam Jars

I was watching a You Tube video from Laci Fay (aka The Vintage Girl Next Door) was showing her Pyrex collection which was a fun video to watch:




At the end of the video, Laci talks about a ceramic strawberry jam jar she had. It turns out back in the day it was a promotion from Kix cereal from the 1930's-1940's. There was 3 jars a Strawberry, an apple and a pineapple. Here's a bit of history I found about the jars. From my understanding, you sent in two box tops and a little bit of money then you got a jar. Apparently the pineapple jar is more rare. 

I recognized the apple. My grandparents had the apple jar!! I remembered it as a kid. Grandpa used to kept Hersey miniatures in it. However, I never thought about taking it after he passed. So I am not sure what happened to it.  I decided to set out to look for one.

As luck would have it my friend Tori helped me find them (thank goodness for Etsy) and I found one that was reasonably priced ($5.00) I didn't hesitate to order. It came in last Monday (which was surprising):


Though I don't think it's exactly like the one grandpa had but pretty close! I filled it up with Hersey miniatures :)

The story doesn't end there. 

Jump to last Wednesday (May 27th) I went to Brass Armadillo and I found the strawberry jar. I am not kidding!! I was shocked to have found the strawberry just days after I got the apple! How random is that? I took it as a sign from the Universe and purchased it:



It was a bit more ($9.99) but definitely worth the investment! The strawberry does have a bit of flaw but overall is in condition. I doubt I will ever own the pineapple since it's a rarer piece (I'm not that lucky ha ha) but I will definitely keep my eyes peeled! 

Do you have any memories or items from your grandparents? 

Miss Mag Nificent  

Comments

Popular Posts