The Rise and Fall of Prohibiton Exhibit

Hello!

Last week was pretty emotional both for our nation and myself so I took the rest of the week off from blogging to do some self care.

Two Fridays ago was my dad's birthday and I had this idea to the Durham Museum to see: The Rise of Fall of Prohibition. I was really excited to see this exhibit because it played such crucial part of the decade (1920's and 1930's) I loved the movie Chicago  which revolves around prohibition also The Great Gatsby. I wanted to learn more about the era and prohibition itself.

I did snag a couple pictures of the exhibit:



I've been to several exhibits now at The Durham and I think this one had to be one of my favorites. It was very interactive. This is from the website of some the things we got to experience:

Sit in a pew of a recreated early 1900s church to learn about the rise of the Anti-Saloon League and take a quiz to find out if they would have been a “wet” or a “dry". Dad and I were "Drys" and my brother was a "wet".

Flapper dresses, cocktail couture, and other women’s and men’s fashion accessories from the 1920s. This was my favorite! There was such a gorgeous brooch!! 

Al Capone’s guilty verdict from his 1931 conviction in Chicago. I have been to Alcatraz where Capone was sentenced (this was back in 2000). It was pretty cool to see more details of his story.

Explore a recreated speakeasy complete with a bar, dance floor, bandstand, and powder room and learn how to dance the Charleston.





 Here's the floor where you can learn the Charleston. I tried it was tricky!!




I think I liked the powder room the best! As you can see the wall paper was Flapper deigned and in the display case was a purse and make up set:




Isn't it pretty?

I will be sharing pictures of the dress Friday!

XO,

Mags 

Comments

Popular Posts