Sunday Thoughts: Re-Reading Harry Potter

Still have the original label in my book




One of my goals for 2020 was to re-read all 7 of the Harry Potter books. I finished all 7 between April and July. I finished book 7 ironically on Harry Potter's 40th Birthday July 31st. I haven't read the last book in 13 years. Overall I think it's been years since I've read all 7. 

Today, I am recapping my thoughts on re-reading all 7 books now in my late 30's from when I read them in my late teens/early 20's.  So here's the break down:


The JK Rowling incident: I guess I should start off by addressing the elephant in the room where JK Rowling made some not nice comments about the transgender community recently. It saddens me that someone who is often respected and admired would say something to upset a community of Potter fans everywhere. With that, I didn't let her actions cloud my judgement on re-reading the series. I believe in the end I wanted to read the books on my accord without any outside influence. 

The books got me through a difficult time: After my mother passed, I was heavily into Order of the Phoenix and I think it got me through that hard time (despite a death in the book). I did take a break in between 5 & 6 to read some other books which will be another Sunday Thoughts. 

Prisoner of Azkaban is still my favorite book:  For some reason I always book 3 in the series. I think because Harry finally has an actual "Family" beside The Dursley's. There really isn't a lot of 
Voldermort or You-Know-Who in this one (there is not but it's not the main emphasis of the book). Also Harry blowing up Aunt Marge still is hilarious. Plus the time turner is the best wizard accessory hands down.  

Goblet of Fire surprised me: When re-reading Goblet of Fire I was really surprised me it's neither here nor there when I read it the first time granted I was sad when Cedric died (the first HP death). I overall enjoyed the book and consider it a 2nd favorite. 

Character Deaths: As you know after book 4 there are major deaths to characters after Cedric (spoiler alert) Sirius in book 5, Dumbledore in book 6, Hedwig (SHE COUNTS), Mad Eye Moody, Fred, Snape, Lupin and Tonks. (plus other secondary characters). Even though you know it's coming it's still hard I think though Fred's and Snape's death made me the most sad. (Plus Hargrid's close call)  

Dumbledore: After All This Time? 
Snape: Always 

Don't get me wrong I sobbed like a baby when Sirius passed the first time I read Order of the Phoenix and when Dumbledore passed, but I think I came to expect it this time. I was more prepared though their deaths are still sad, just I think now I've realized the importance of their deaths and how it effected Harry. 

Snape: The character you love to hate. I'm sure like other Potter Fans, Snape is one of the characters that you really can't help but hate because the way he treats Harry. Then what happens in the Half Blood Prince, you really question him but once Harry dives into Snape's pensive upon his death and learns the truth about Snape (being a double agent), Harry softens a bit and gives one of son's Albus Snape's middle name Severus. It's also stated that Harry made sure Snape's portrait was hung at Hogwarts honoring him as a hero. 

When reading Order of the Phoenix, I remembered when I got the book (it was the summer of before my 2nd year at The Creative Center) and I felt really nostalgic. Even learning Dumbledore's full name: Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. 

Harry Potter stands the test of time. This is what I still love about Harry Potter that no matter how many years go by, the books remain relevant to this day. 

Miss Mag Nificent 






Comments

Popular Posts