A little bit of everything

Wow it’s September summer is pretty much over expect for a few warm days here and there kind of sad too because it seems like it’s here and before you know it, it’s gone like that Counting Crows song Big Yellow Taxi “Don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone, They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.”

I have a lot to catch up on so bear with me it’s going to be a long post.

September 1st Shannon and I went to see Bret Michaels at the State Fair in Lincoln. I have never been to the fair before it was something that we couldn’t afford when I was growing up. Bret performed in an open-air concert at the fair so all we had to pay was gate admission and the concert was free! I was thrilled we didn’t get lost in Lincoln because I don’t know it as well I as do Omaha. We had a blast! I never jumped up and down so much for Bret as I did any other performer (well besides Kenny Chesney) I know I am such a nerd! He sung mostly Poison songs, Guns and Roses Knock Knock Knocking on Heaven’s door, and Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama. He only sang two of his solo songs which was a bummer plus he didn’t perform very either which sucked. Despite that it was still awesome to see him, I honestly don’t think I will ever get a chance to see him again unless we drive to Grand Island next if he comes back.

We didn’t really do anything fair related but eating food on a stick. I have always heard at any State Fair there is stuff to eat on a stick (besides corndogs and Carmel apples, let me tell you I saw at least 10 booths selling corndogs) so I was bound and determined to find something on a stick to try and I had found it. A deep fat fried peach on a stick. I know what you are thinking but it was rather good, Shannon on the other wouldn’t agree with me she said peaches are slimy. Guess you say it’s like a peach cobbler. Shannon tried chicken on a stick that was really good too (she let me try a bite). So that was our fair experience.

The weekend was good I had met my friend Mandy from Washington State for lunch on Friday she had gone to Forks and brought me back a cute sticker that says “Rain, rain go away, want to see Edward sparkle today” She and her husband have bought their first house so they were eager to get back home to get settled it was great seeing her.

Later that afternoon I officially got Shorty licensed now all that’s left is the 1st payment! After that I finally stopped at Precious Treasures scrap booking store downtown because I was in need of some vintage paper for these postcards I had gotten when the Titanic exhibit came to Omaha a couple years back so I had them in a box. I wanted to scrap and frame them. They are of the Grand Staircase and a cherub statue that was believed to have been from the Grand Staircase. Well I loved that place! The store manager Amy was a great help aannnddd I got to see a great friend of Dad’s and mine Vicki! Vicki is an awesome scrap booker she has her very own blog too. Vicki used to work at Davenport with the ECDC kids while dad was janitor, and before that her son Wes and I went to Linden school growing up as well as FHS. Well besides the vintage paper I grabbed some Hawaiian beach style paper too. But I love Amy’s store I will be doing all my scrap shopping there from now on woo hoo!

I think around Friday night I was thinking on how badly I needed a creative space somewhere that I could create without being in the way of others. Usually it’s the living room for me but I get tried of lugging my supplies to and fro. I share a room so I don’t have as much space as before, I decided to work with what I had; I could achieve what I desired in a creative space (guess a little feng shui doesn’t hurt either). Between my bed and dresser I have a few feet of open space that holds storage drawers on wheels (I have all my work clothes in them) and a set of crates that is my make shift bookshelf. I went to work on that Saturday night. What I basically did was emptied the top shelf of the crates and placed all my art books, sketch pads, etc on that shelf. I left what was in my drawers (because I really nowhere else to put them) but utilizing the top as a desk or place to put what I am working on top. In the small area to the left of my dresser I stacked some of my supplies, and put all my pens, markers, etc in a small storage bin and put that besides the storage bins. Last I have another small open area to the right of my dresser I had Ethan my bust sculpture there I moved him, and put another storage drawer there.

And there you have it a small creative spot. I am pleased with it. It’s nice to have my projects close at hand not shoved away somewhere. I don’t think I could get a chair in that area because of the slopping ceiling but I usually sit on the floor to create anyways otherwise I can plop onto my bed too! Sometimes even us artists have to learn to work with what we have.

That now takes me to my projects. I said a few posts back of fixing up those scrap storage drawers that I use as my bedside table? That’s what I got the beach/Hawaiian paper for. I worked on that Saturday night after setting up my creative spot. They turned out so neat! It was definitely what they needed. Most of you all have a facebook so you can check out my pictures there once I get them posted.

I got the duck tape again to finish the tie-dye purse; I began work on the camouflage bag but ran out of the camouflage duck tape, and I did make a small pink purse for my friend Becki’s daughter Brittney. I am working on one for her other daughter Bailey. I had mentioned that she is the one who likes the wrestler Jeff Hardy. So it’s going to be with some of his main colors green and purple. They are turning out super cute!

Dang it there is still more but this post is too long so I will stop here hopefully I can finish up later this week.

Comments

Popular Posts